Wednesday, October 14, 2015

All That Sparkles (Original Article On removingchains.org)

All That Sparkles


Three and a half years ago I embarked on a journey away from abuse and towards freedom.  It has been a long road full of pain, surprises, and discoveries.  I won’t lie to you and tell you it has been easy.  Because it hasn’t.  But I will tell you that, even when it seemed like it wasn’t, it has truly been worth it.
There are many factors that contributed to the kickstart of this journey.  You could say it began in childhood with abuse, the decision to be with one toxic person after another, or the police that showed up at my house that final day.  I believe all of that played a huge part but truly it began with a simple piece of paper handed to me by a concerned therapist.  
When I first started seeing this therapist I knew that my then current relationship would dominate our conversations.  And it did.  What I didn’t know is how instrumental she would be in what has become my new life.  On an ordinary afternoon she handed me a not so ordinary directive.  She looked at me and said “When you leave him, you are going to have to change everything”.  My breath caught in my throat. “Everything?” I skeptically replied, the panic rising.  “Everything” she said.  And with that seemingly doom summoning statement she pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down a crisis plan for me to hide somewhere.  


To Read More Click Here: removingchains.org